Professor Vassilis KOSTOPOULOS
Born: Athens, August 25, 1957
Present Position: Professor, Director of Applied Mechanics & Vibrations Lab.
University of Patras, Department of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics, Applied Mechanics Lab, GR-265 00 Patras, Greece.
tel. +30610‑969443, fax +30610‑969417.
1980: Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Dip. Eng.), National Technical University of Athens, Greece
1987: PhD in Applied Mechanics (Wave Propagation & Scattering, Non – destructive testing of Composite Materials), University of Patras, Greece
- 1994 – 1996: Visiting Scientist, JRC Petten, The Netherlands, Institute for Advanced Materials, EU
- 2018 Visiting Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Center for Composite Materials, University of DELAWARE, USA.
- Member of the States Representative Group (SRG) of JTI ‘CLEAN SKY 2’ (2014-2020), and Vice President of SRG.
- Member of CS3 Preparation Group, Working Group on upstream R&D, 2019.
- 2011-today Member of the Advisory Council for Aviation Research and innovation in Europe (new ACARE).
- Elected Member of the Council of the European Society for Composite Materials (ESCM), and Vice President of the Council.
- 2003 – 2011 Member of the Advisory Council for Aeronautics Research in Europe (ACARE).
- Member of the National States Representative Group (NSRG) of JTI ‘CLEAN SKY’ (2008-2014).
- 2003 – 2006 National Delegate of FP6 Aerospace Program Committee
- 2007-2013 National Delegate of FP7 Transport (including Aeronautics) Program Committee
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal ‘Composite Science and Technology’
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal ‘Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures’
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal ‘Research & Reviews in Polymers’
- Associate Editor of the ‘International Journal of Aerospace Engineering’ (2008-2012)
- Reviewer in more than 45 International Scientific Journals
- Evaluator of research proposals (EU, UK, Belgium, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Romania, Greece and Cyprus)
- Member of the International evaluation board of Romanian Research Centers (INCAS and COMOTI)
- Vector Mechanics for Engineers (I. Static, II. Dynamics),
- Experimental Mechanics of Composite Materials,
- Thermo-mechanical behavior of Composite and Ceramic Materials,
- Micro-Macro Mechanical Behavior of Composite Materials,
- Non-Destructive Testing and Non-Destructive Inspection,
- Wave Propagation and Scattering in Layered Media,
- Sensors and Signal Analysis,
- Materials for Aeronautic Applications,
- Damage Tolerance Design
- Space Technologies
Post Graduate Courses:
(a) Advanced Dynamics, (b) Fatigue and Fracture Behavior of Composite materials and Structures, (c) Ceramic Matrix Composites, (d) Wave propagation and Scattering Theory, (e) Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, (f) Anisotropic Elasticity
Design, Analysis and Optimization of Composite (lightweight) Structures.
Non-Destructive Inspection & Evaluation of Engineering Structures, Structural Health Monitoring.
Nano-augmentation, Nano-engineering and Nano-design of structural composites.
Biomechanics & Bioengineering (implants design, 2 and 3D scaffolds, stress analysis, wear and fretting fatigue)
Fracture and Fatigue of Composites Materials and Structures.
Blast, impact and crash behavior of Aerospace Structures, high strain rate effects on metals and composites.
Anisotropic Elasticity, Anisotropic Damage Theory.
Wave Propagation and Scattering in Continuous Media. Non-Linear Acoustics.
Life cycle analysis of composite components and structures
Space Technologies and Micro and Nano Satellites
196 publications in referee Journals
287 presentations in International Conferences
5 books (3 International and 2 in Greek)
16 chapters in international books
71 technical reports
41 Invited Lectures in International Conferences and International events
i10 index 89
Research Projects (since 2000): Scientific Coordinator (Greek participation) and Principal investigator for 61 International Research Projects
Co-organizer of 53 International Conferences
Main Supervisor of 27 completed PhD theses
Patents: 3 European, 1 US and 7 National ones